Sunday, September 26, 2010

Triathlon for Dummies

The question that most every triathlete, and even more so every Ironman get is "Why do you do it?" Honestly, any person who has accomplished a feat such as the Ironman could list a thousand reasons WHY. I think the fact of the matter is that triathlon presents the opportunity for someone to really define themselves. In each respective professional sport the top athletes are usually the ones that were naturally blessed with their abilities. Yes, hard work and determination in about 90% of the cases take these athletes to the next level, however the fact remains that most top pro's were born with some uncanny ability to hit a 95mph fastball, hit a 380 yard drive (straight), run a 4.25 40 (in football cleats), sink an NBA range 3 pointer (in game situations at 45%), drive a car at 200mph around an oval track (and not crash). But I don't know, these sports just seem like they are now at a level where some sort of natural gift has to be bestowed upon you in order to succeed. I know I am exaggerating but the point I am trying to make is that triathlon in my case, and in probably many many others has allowed me to conjure up something inside myself that I knew was there but never really dug into. Sure there were indicators that something along the lines of endurance athletics might be a good fit for me. Like the fact that I always liked the sports and athletic activities that just wore on. The thing that appealed to me about these was the fact that many people would just quit and give up. But anyway, I am kind of getting off track of answering the WHY.

To make an explanation that could fill a novel short I will say that triathlon engages strikes the right cords in my brain. The feeling that I have after I blitz my legs on my bike and finish it off with a run is fantastic. Yeah, it can hurt like hell but the self satisfaction that I feel is like none other. I never ever have felt that sort of satisfaction before I started doing endurance type stuff. I loved football, basketball, and baseball growing up but I never got the chills that I get from finishing a workout. Yes, I said a workout. It can be the most sissy recovery workout in the world but I still get a kick out of it. And the tougher the days are the more I get out of them.

Ok, I finally remembered what engaged this blog idea in my head. It was this...I swim, bike, and run more miles that most people cover on a summer vacation because I truly enjoy building the engine that is my body. I am 5'8'' and around 150 pounds and the only thing that matters in triathlon is how long it takes me (in my case I will use the IM standards) to cover 70.3 or 140.6 miles. I do not need a stomach that looks like it was sculpted out of marble in ancient greece. I don't need to be 6 feet tall. I do not need to be able to run a 4 minute mile or a 2:15 marathon, or bike like Lance Armstrong (although it would help), or swim like Michael Phelps. I just need to do all those things to the best of my ability because truly this sport is as individual as it gets. Sure you can train with people, and the fact that the triathlon community is so great is def a reason why I love this sport...but the fact is, when you want to get work done YOU DO IT ON YOUR WON. Only you can make yourself push harder when you don't feel like it or when you don't think you can because your darn legs feel like they are going to fall off. In the lead up to IM events there is a damn fine line between overdoing and undergoing. If you go either way you can come up short of your expectations. So yeah, I love this sport because it gives me the power. Only I....Only me can make myself get up and go swim/bike/or run. In more short relationship with Ironman I can tell that it rewards those who put in the time. Any avg joe can kick out a decent sprint or Oly race, and I am not knocking them because these races in themselves pose different challenges. They are speed based. They require a certain balls to the wall attitude if I may say so myself. So I guess what I meant by my prior comment that anyone can do them is that anyone can really jump into one of these races and finish in a respectable time and finish looking "good". I don't think that can be said about IM distances. They require a willingness to truly suffer. Suffer not from redlining but suffer because you've just been out in the sun for to dang long, or suffer because your mind is just not their, suffer from the 25 hr week you put in. I just absolutely love that I am in total control of my destiny and come race day no one else is there to coax you through it. When the cannon blasts its you and the course. The training has been completed by then. The only question that remains is "Was it enough? To much?" and the sole indicator of that is what the TIMEX reads when you Mike Riley calls your name.

I guess if you don't get jazzed up about a 5-6 hr bike ride in crappy conditions in the middle of March then maybe this sport isn't for you. But the fact that I love doing this and the fact that I have some amazing friendships because they like doing that to is something unique. I understand that some people like success in the form of promotions at work or other forms but for this guy I get SO much out of seeing what I can do. And to test myself I do it swimming, biking and running. It's not for everyone, and for those that its not for, well I suggest you do some local sprint tri's...you'll get some great exercise :) But for those people who live and breath triathlon..those people that have made it their lifestyle..I will say that I GET YOU! I understand why. It is something that no job can give. It's something that no motivation speech can provide. If their was only some way I could bottle up the feeling I get from this I could sell it and be a MILLIONAIRE..or just use it when I am feeling down, either way.

Welp, I am going to go back to what I was doing when this blog idea came to me....which was lying in my bed trying to fall asleep. Personally I struggle getting to sleep after a big training day. Logically you would think that a bunch of exercise at high intensity would create an intense desire for the body to just go BLAH..and fall asleep but for me I can't shut it down without a fight. But I going to keep battling and at least get my feet up. 5:45 is going to come early tomorrow morning. But the fact that I am getting up to go hang out with a bunch of nutters like myself at the pool makes it oh so much easier.

Kim Ammon, this is a test to see if you read my blog. You better be there in the morning! Travis Earley, I am also testing you. Are you planning on running this week on Wed. I know your beginning the Chi town marry lead up so I just wanted to check. Please submit responses in the comments section of this blog post. :) Otherwise I will just email you later this week, hahaha.

Until next time my friends.

-Turbo

5 comments:

  1. I was Happy to see you this morning! 5 more weeks until the BIG dance! Keep this good energy going! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am a triathlon beginner and this post inspires me. many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dennis,

    Glad to hear that! Train hard all through the winter and reap the rewards come next spring and summer.

    I will do my best to keep posting worthy blogs so we all stay hungry! Work and training sometimes drain the creative thinking out of me, but its nothing that a long ride can't cure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice man...I'm actually out for Mendon this Wednesday, the Chicago taper is making me stay on the roads with sure footing. And yes occassionally I stop by to peruse whats been going on with you! Sometimes I wonder if people actually read my blog too... Anyway, keep up the big miles man, I'm excited to see how it all pays off at IMFL.

    ReplyDelete