Thursday, August 19, 2010

Hittin' the Trails

Yesterday was my biggest training day yet since Placid. I hit the pool at Midtown around 6am and got about 3000 yards in. Ultra Adam and Coach Mary showed up about a 1/4 of the way through my workout. Having them in the next lane made the swim go by nice and quickly. I think of all the sports that swimming is the one where I really really like having people around. Their doesn't have to be any conversation at all over an hours time but its just the fact that they keep going and that keeps you going which makes it so much better than swimming repetative laps alone. Idk if that came out real confusing or not but the point is...that it was nice to have some company. The rest of the day went pretty much as usual. Headed back to the apartment and put on my Work "Kit" (Shirt, Tie, Slacks, Shoes..etc..), went to Wegmans, spent to much on food for the day their (I ended up going back at night for a salad...I hate my myself for living so close to so many Wegmans), did work all day, and then at 5:30 I raced to Mendon Ponds to meet Wonderboy Travis Earley for a little 10k through the Mendon Pond trails. This was really my first time every truly trail running. I have done the Mendon Duathlon Loop a few times but that crosses some roads and its not all that trail running'ish. So it was nice of Travis and his running buddies to let me tag along. I had a blast running up and down the hills. The pace was more or less conversational but towards the end the combination of my legs being drilled from the hills and the pace picking up a tad..I was getting pretty winded. I really hadn't felt that "worked" in a while during a training run. I have to say that trail running is quite literally a breath of fresh air. Getting out into the woods truly has a calming affect over me.

I also would like to add that the swimming and running yesterday definitely took a bit out of me as my 1hr bike ride today had my legs feeling shelled. Looks like things are beginning to get serious again.

5 comments:

  1. you have never gone trail running?! wow! also, that's probably what shelled your legs. I am sore for days after a hilly trail run!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Turbo is but a pup with a lot to learn.

    ps...you read that quick you stalker :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the effect the trails had on you. Plan on more to be scheduled!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It wasn't me picking it up at the end....I blame Liz!! glad to have you there man, hope we didn't scare you off with all the stupid jokes! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. not at all! I can't wait to get back out on the trails!

    ReplyDelete