Saturday, August 7, 2010

Trying to find my mojo again...

Well its good to to see that some people are still checking in on me, even though they are all my tri friends. Where are you my other followers?

Oh well, its their loss and to you my loyal blog checkers...its most certainly your gain.

I must say that I can't really blame the other people, I mean I haven't really been writing anything noteworthy lately. For some reasons things have been going really really fast. All May was trying to bike as many miles as possible...with an achilles injury. I literally lived out of my car going back and forth between Syracuse, Penn Yan, and Rochester. Then came June, the achilles thing was still an issue, I switched jobs, took a couple weeks vacation (to fit more training in) during this vacation period I went to Lake Placid for two weekend camps and also went to Vermont for another weekend camp. That pretty much took care of June. At the beginning of July I was able to resume a bit of short running in prep for IMLP which seemed like it was very far away as it was the end of July. However, all of July seemed like to be a HUGE taper down to the race so I was constantly trying to fit in some other things non-training related with a bit more free time. That coupled with the Musselman weekend in Geneva made Race week in Placid come QUICK! Then all of the sudden the race is over and I am back to work...I am now two weeks back to work and starting to really take on some real tax returns and real tax projects. Training is slowly beginning to resume and I am slowly beginning to regain some normality that I had back from Oct-April. (If you can call my life normal) I guess the only hiccup is that I got some kind of virus or something on Thursday which led to the onset of a sore throat. I can usually tell when I just have a cold or whether I am getting something more. This felt like it was going to be a full blown sore throat thing, so I grabbed my emergency antibiotics and began the routine of taking them for 5 days (I usually do this between 1-2x per year as I tend to get sick in the summer/fall change period as well as in the spring or summer...) and these med's always clear stuff up before they become to big of a problem. The antibiotics coupled with a low key day on Friday which included a bed time of...get this, 5:30PM has me feeling a bit better. It's now almost 5:30am (so i ended up getting about 11 hours of sleep if you figure the amount of time I was up at night peeing because of the enormous amounts of water I have been flushing through my system. I'm drinking my coffee and even eating a nice bowl of grape nuts and banana mixed with protein powder.

Moving on..I must say that I am pretty excited for today. Today is what I consider my first day in the IMFL build. I will also be racing the Syracuse 70.3 in September (and I am super excited about this race don't get me wrong) but that race will be more of a fitness indicator than anything else.....i think? I'll be racing hard that day but the main thing is that I come out of the race strong and healthy and focused on heading to Florida in November. And as today is the reintroduction of some solid training what better way to kick it off than heading out to Don Ehinger's place in Mendon Ponds to meet up with Don and Chris for a nice bike ride! I'll be on my road bike, the bike of choice for the time being. It's a nice change to hop off the tri bike and enjoy some of the splendor's that my madone has to offer. You know, one of the best things about these easier types of rides is that it really gives you a chance to just sit back and enjoy riding bikes. Chit chatting with your buddies and rolling over the beautiful land that is around Rochester is really a special thing. So there you have it, I am beginning my next block of 2010. I am fat and happy. Which means I am not race ready...but that will come, like they say you can't be at Race Weight all the time.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Matt--I'll come out of lurkdom to say--we're here reading--keep posting! I just finished my first sprint tri this morning and you, Mike Corona, and Mary Eggers are my inspiration. So keep it up! I'll be there cheering you, Mike, and my new CNY Tri friends on the Syracuse 70.3 course.

    ReplyDelete