Sunday, August 29, 2010

Your not getting rid of me that easily

Written on Sunday morning of this past weekend but delayed finishing it until Wednesday morning....my bad

It's been a while since I wrote down something on here. But here I am, eating fig newtons, drinking coffee and getting ready to go on a nice run. All the while I am looking out from my parents porch at the beautiful lake that is Keuka.


Things have been going reasonable well lately, which is nice. Work is busy but not overwhelming. I usually have a full days worth of projects or tasks so that keeps the day moving along. I have also began to get back to the heavier training hours. Nothing quite over 12 hours per week yet but they are slowly creeping back up again. Yesterday brought the first 3 hour ride I have seen since IMLP. I headed out with Don, Chris, and K as we circled Honeoye Lake. A couple tempo intervals of 20 minutes were thrown in their as well. It ended up being a beautiful morning ride. The only kind of bad news on the biking forefront is that my nice Aeolus wheels are in the shop because they need some new spokes. This is a bummer because my powermeter is installed in that wheelset, which means that I am unable to train with power for a while. This is not a big deal at all but its just something that bugs me. For now I will just go by feel during my tempo intervals and such....and hopefully in a few days I will have a power meter solution. I am most likely going to sell my powertap unit, have the aeolus's built back to their original state, and aquire a Quarq power meter that will reside in the crank of my bike. Their is also news on the sale of my previous Trek TTX tri bike as someone is looking at it and may be interested in being its new owner. I am not trying to make a huge sum of money off this I am just trying to find it a nice home in the area. I really don't want to have to deal with shipping it to all ends of the states. With that said if anyone reading this is interested in the bike or know someone that is interested please let me know. Turbo could use some cash flow to allow for these power meter transactions that are amiss.

Well those were a few scattered thoughts that crossed my mind as I began the post. Now lets try to get some form of semblance with this entry. I will start out by making a list of the key things that are up in the life of Turbo Curbeau:
1. Training volume is increasing, things are starting to feel good
2. I have begun to add a weekly trail run into my plan. This is good, I will talk more about this over the next few weeks. I really get a kick out of trail running. It kicks my butt and I get to run with faster people which is exactly what I need!
3. A new eating plan has been established for Turbo and he's doing a pretty good job sticking to the plan.
4. Chasing Legends, the movie about team HTC and the 2009 Tour de France played in Pittsford this past week and Turbo along with some TT peeps and other various endurance athletes from Rochester go out to see it.
5. My family from Japan arrived in the states and are spending the weekend in Penn Yan.

In more detail:
1. Like I said in the first part of the post. The training volume is increasing and I am liking this. However, I am being more conscious of my energy levels and resting when I need to instead od pushing through it and ending up injured or something. When you think about it a workout is as good as you make it. If you slack off and have a poor workout that will reflect in the next workout and the next race. Subsequently by training when you are unable to give it your best effort becomes detrimental to your overall plan. When tiredness strikes maybe the best training plan is to have no traning planned..think about that one. To get faster maybe one needs to slow down, instead of increasing maybe decreasing the hours is what is required, the old one step forward two steps back saying. So with that said I am really trying to make every workout count at this point. I still have plenty of time to buld my endurance base back up to LP level so I am not worried about packing on tremendous hours, If I train less but with more intensity..all the better. I am young and have a lot in front of me and the only thing that can stop my progression is injury...Mary and I have a big day planned for November 6th! ...and I just found out that IMFL is on a Saturday and I am staying until Thursday which means I am going to have Sunday and Monday to relax on the beach and chill before I have to fly home!!! SWWEEET!

2. Trail running is my new little secret. Travis has led me to the trails of Mendon Ponds and I must say that they sure kick my butt. I really do enjoy the trails, they provide such a different workout than running on roads yields. The legs are usually shelled about 10 minutes into the run but I think I am going to be 100 times better for it come the next two races which end with very flat run courses. and...I can't not say how awesome it is to run with people who are MUCH better runners than you. You only get better by training up! EASY DAYS EASY...but the HARD DAYS ARE HARD...(Today, which is Wednesday is a hard day. I have a big pool workout that I will be heading to shortly along with trail running tonight. It's my mid week build day. Then its a slow taper to Saturday. :)

3. Turbo is eating better...weigh's more...but is eating better, now all thats left is to see what kind of performance follows.

4. Chasing Legends is a great documentary about the 2009 Tour with team HTC. The only bad news on this front is that Towpath already sold out of DVD's so I have been forced to wait until they restock, hopefully soon!

5. The family from Japan is in with their 3 kids. On Sunday afternoon just about my whole family was at my parents new cottage. 23 people were there! Including a TON of little kids under the age of 9. Chaos!! haha, but very fun to see everyone. My super sister-in-law Sakiko (former World Class Biathlete from Japan) even gave me a massage and acupuncture session after my long run. Boy if I could get that after every big workout, that'd be soooo cool! I have some pictures of when the needles were in my legs so when I get them back I will post them up here.

No comments:

Post a Comment