Monday, May 3, 2010

Year 1 - Initiation of Phase 2

My first race of 2010 is in the books. For all intents and purposes the 2010 Triathlon season is my rookie year. I dabbled in the game last summer, but this year it's time to get serious...while still having a boatloads of fun, which I am. I use the word serious only because it means I actually have a plan, I have a coach who is guiding me through the ins and outs of training. It's great. The Ironman Texas 70.3 in Galveston was my initiation into the Ironman Triathlon way of life. I truly had one of the best times of my life down there. Having a full weekend to fully immerse myself in the triathlete lifestyle was amazing. I chilled, talked "shop", learned a lot, met my idols, raced along side both friends and professional athletes, and came pretty darn close to hitting my goals. I'll take that for a first race! With that said I had to come back to reality last Monday. After a longer than expected journey back to NY, I made it home in the wee hours of Tuesday morning. So began the recovery week. By Thursday I was pretty antsy so I got myself moving again by getting to Mary's Yoga class. There's nothing like a nice hot yoga room at around 90 something degrees to get your loosened back up. Then to my surprise, I checked my training log and saw that coach had put in a couple little easy workouts for the weekend. This made me very happy. I don't know what I would have done with myself if I didn't have anything at all to do over the weekend. I know that recovery is important and believe me I took it very easy last week, but the weather was so dang nice this weekend that it would have been a criminal act to not at least spin the legs a little bit. The easy bike and easy run worked out great. I took them very very easy and just enjoyed being outdoors. The bike ride even gave me a chance to meet up with some friends and just ride...with no parameters, no data. On Sunday I ran for about 50 minutes on the Canal Path. With no data to fill my head I just shuffled on from Schoen Place to the JCC and back. Not sure on the distance but it as just about 50 minutes. Funny because I didn't even take a watch but I was still able to almost nail the time I was thinking of doing. I guess that just goes to show you how powerful a persons mind is. If you think of something you can do it, whether you know it or not. I think that is why visualization is so prevalently used in athletics. If you can see something happen in your mind and you watch it over and over again you can make that become reality because your brain doesn't know whats reality and what's not. It will believe whatever you tell it. So visualize your goals and make them come true. You never know what you can accomplish unless you try.

Well then, it's Monday morning May 3rd. Phase 2 of the 2010 Season will get underway shortly when I head to my Master's swim class. This it he first time I will have been able to make it to the Monday morning group session in quite some time, a few months in fact. Work coupled with getting ready for last weeks race made it difficult to get to the pool at MCC with the group. But that is behind me now. It's time to get serious in the pool and start working on getting my times down. Plus I really like seeing everyone that swims there. It will be nice to catch up with everyone.

Back from the pool. Good to get back with the Masters team. Hopefully I can learn a thing or two about this swimming business from them.

I am back at my apartment now. Swim was 5:45 - 7:15. This gives me enough time to head back to the APT and get changed before I head back downtown for work. I made my green smoothie for breakfast in my awesome new blender that my Dad got me. The blender has an engine that is comparable to a 747's. I am actually scared to use the thing at night. I'm even a little concerned with the noise at 7:45am but what the heck..I just got done with a workout and I want my shake...let the neighbors come knock on my door if they want, I'm just trying to be healthy. And I'd be more than happy to let them have a sip if they wanted...If your interested in what's in my smoothie here it is:
1 banana (organic of course, ha)
1 huge handful of baby spinach leaves and or mixed greens (make it huge!)
1 scoop dymatize protein (about 24g of protein i think)
Some ice...thickens things up a bit, the stronger and more powerful the blender the more you can get away with throwing a lot in.
And that's it, a quick easy breakfast meal that gets me a bunch of vege's, fruit, protein, water, happiness..doesn't get much better.

Well, time to hopefully go learn about computer systems at work today. I am working in new department within the firm today. I am anxious to learn more and hope that good things will come of it.

Then after work (as long as some long hours aren't required) I will hopefully be able to make it to Yoga class which would really make the day great!

Here's to the start of a new week for everyone, if your training for a 5k, a sprint tri, a duathlon, an ironman 70.3, 140.6, of the Epic 5, train hard and train safe but more importantly have fun and enjoy it because if you don't...well then you need to figure out why the heck not.

Catch ya later!
-Turbo

No comments:

Post a Comment