Sunday, June 6, 2010

The Curious Case of June 6th and The Keuka Lake Triathlon

It's June 6th, it's my Dad's birthday. Although not what I had hoped for, today was the culmination of a really great weekend. Why was it a great weekend? Let me just make a quick list since that's how I sort these things out best.

1. It was my dad's birthday, although I had to come back to Rochester after the race because I had left my work computer in Rochester and had to make sure I located it before my brain would stop wondering where i had left it, I think he had a good day watching the triathlon in the morning. I felt bad that I had to take off back to Rochester instead of spending the rest of the day and night at home but things happen and he understands. I'll be home again soon enough and make it up to him by getting a round of golf in. Back in the good ole days I'd be the one begging to go play golf but now its just so hard to find the time necessary to get a round of golf in with all the training I am into..not a bad thing, just different.

2. I had the opportunity to introduce Cusetri and his family to my parents as they were in town for the Keuka Triathlon. We all got together on the night before the race and went to one of the best place's on the lake, The Switz for dinner. Many of my friends work at the Switz so it was fun to be there among good people, in fact one of my good friends Megan was our waitress and took awesome care of all 13 of us!

3. I got to meetCusetri brother Joe. He's following in his brothers footsteps and getting into the triathlon game. But this weekend since his brother and step-sister were both racing he drew babysitting duty and took care of the three boys..I am still not sure who had the harder day..Cusetri and his wife as they swam, biked, and ran or brother Joe who ran all around with the three boys (2 of whom were dressed in full batman outfits). HA.. I was glad to meet Joe though, he was a funny dude and hopefully I will get to see him at some Triathlon's in the future and maybe we will work in collaboration to start our own online triathlon match making service.

4. It poured all Sunday morning before the race and was horrible after the race but during it the Sun came out and it was pretty much perfect.

5. I improved my swim time from last year. Good thing.

6. I flatted about 5 miles from the end of the bike or so and had to coast in on a flat rear tire. It got to a point about 1/2 a mile away where carbon touched the pavement so at that point I jumped off and carried the thing in barefoot. I got some good cheering out of that..I guess it made up for all the time lost, oh well no harm done to body or bike so all is good!

7. Achilles started to get sore at the beginning of the run so I held back and cruised through the 6.2 miles. I had the great opportunity to catch up with Cusetri and cross the finish line at the same time he did...although he started the race 5 minutes after the race..so yeah Cusetri-1, TurboCurbo-0. So be it, we both lived to see another race and to train another day. And if I had not flatted we wouldn't have finished at the same time, which was way cool. So I think all in all it was a pretty awesome race. A good day for training and racing fun!

8. The Achilles seems to be in good shape a day after the race. I am probably most happy about this since I desperately want to get back to 100%.

9. On Sunday night my mom told me that she had found a place for me to stay at Placid this weekend.

10. Oh yeah, in regards to #9. I am beginning my month of triathlon training camps by going to Placid on Thursday. I will be staying at the Art Devlin's Olympic Motor in on Main Street and training with the one and only Cusetri. Boy he sure makes it in my blog a lot....and the Bromance continues...as the Bostonians say, "It's going to be a wicked awesome weekend" with lots of biking and swimming, and maybe a touch of running for me:) I absolutely love, LOVE, being in Lake Placid. It's just the coolest most relaxing place. I can't wait to just wake up, go to starbucks, drink coffee, write a blog, and ramp up for the day ahead. Oh yeah its gonna be awesome! Some serious MOJO building will be accomplished.

11. This upcoming weekend is just the beginning. This weekend is placid with Cusetri, next weekend is Placid again with my fellow Train-This teammates, and the weekend after that I am heading to Ludlow, VT for a training camp (Placid Specific) hosted by QT2, which is the team that my Coach Mary Eggers is on.

12. It's Monday at 5PM, I got a swim in this morning, had some therapy on the ankle, ate a nice $6 meal at wegmans for lunch, obtained new tires for my bike and placed them on the wheels so I am ready to get back in the saddle tomorrow, and I will be heading to Yoga in about 2 hours...Life is Good.

No comments:

Post a Comment