Sunday, June 13, 2010

Status Update

Well its Sunday morning here in Lake Placid. I am now firmly planted in the Main Street Starbucks awaiting to hear back from Corona who is out on his long run. We met up around 6 this morning, drank some coffee, and hopped on our bikes for a little 1 hr recovery ride. Recovery was the key word. We circled Mirror Lake a bunch of times and tooled around through town watching all the Marathon people get geared up to run. The atmosphere definitely picked up the last two days as the marathoners and other training triathletes appeared. It gave me a glimpse of what race week will be like in July. I can only imagine that the energy in this little town is going to be spiked! I am going to drink up every second of it and even bottle some of it up for during that last 11 miles on the bike, and of course that little thing called a marathon.

I must confess that although this weekend in Placid was absolute bliss that I am a bit disappointed in my performance. I felt good on Friday as I tackled a 2hr bike ride which was about 40 something miles with hills over the last section of the Ironman bike loop as well as swimming 3.6 miles. However, the cumulative training that I've put in caught up with me during the long ride on Saturday. I made it through the first loop without any issues other than the fact that it was raining the whole time and pretty darn cold on those descents. However, the whole second loop was a struggle to hold a decent pace. I was definitely working hard! None the less I made it back and attempted a run off the bike. I was extremely pleased to be able to hit the roads and run for about 3 miles without any pain. I got some food, rested up and swam another loop of the lake course in the evening...and that was that. A good hard training day that got the best of me. The fact that I could run off the bike really made me happy, however this morning after I got off the recovery ride I tried to go on a 40 minute run and my leg just wasn't having it. The Achilles/calve thing tightened up and told me that it just didn't want to do any work today. I listened to my body and called the run off..which leads me to now. As I said in the beginning I am in Starbucks waiting for Corona to get back from his long 2:30 run (man I wish I could be out there too...although that's really long I probably wouldn't last, haha) So yeah I'm having a nice coffee to warm me up before we will both jump in the lake for one last time this weekend before heading home.

No comments:

Post a Comment