Thursday, June 3, 2010

It's a Big Day Today

I've got some things going on today that could lead to some good times in the future. I am hopeful that all will go well and I know that if I am just myself things will fall in place. Life is to short to not be happy and today I am in search of a happiness.

I will of course let everyone know in due course whats going on but for now out of superstition I am going to keep my mouth shut. As my loyal followers please do not worry, what I am speaking about is good,whatever the outcome may be. On the other hand though any good CHI you could send my way for the recovery of my Achilles would be very very welcome!

It feels like a lifetime since I have been able to train "normally". It seems that every since the end of March I have been dealing with something. April was a month to heal up fast in prep for Texas, that went pretty well, I was able to race pain free and I thought I was on track to ramp up training come May. However that plan was derailed by a leg/Achilles area injury that has been hanging around since about May 2nd. I think I said yesterday that I rode about 1,000 miles last month and rain 6.5 miles (all on May 2nd), truly a milestone and probably the reason why this week I have been in a bit of a fog, today is the first day I feel "back to normal"...I ended up taking yesterday off completely. I just needed a break, I went to bed at 7pm and woke up at 7am feeling refreshed. I also went and saw Kenny the magic man (aka my Chiropractor) who did some work on my leg and informed me that I shouldn't have waited so long to come and see him. But to my defense I had been in his office about a week and a half before. I didn't want to overdo my visits to him so I wanted to take some time off and see how my healing process would go. Well it seemed to be going quite well, I mean I was maintaining good biking volume with minimal pain and my recovery was becoming much quicker in the leg area. I really do feel that my biking is going to be benefited by the specialization in that area over the past month, but I can't help wondering if not biking at all would have been better. Obviously a doctor is going to say, Yes you should have just stopped completely for a month, but I am an athlete that has a delicate mind/well-being and If I had to stop everything for a month I think the damage to my psyche could have been even worse. But either way, the past is behind me. I know and trying to get race ready by Sunday. If I am not good to go I will pull the plug, I've got to much invested into this Ironman business to screw it up with an Olympic distance race, even though it is a hometown race. If it wasn't in my hometown I prolly would have pulled the plug already but I am going to give it my best. I have already sacrificed running in the Corporate Challenge 3.5 run tonight, that wasn't hard though. Running with almost 9k people isn't exactly a pleasure. I will still go and hang out with co-workers but I will be wearing my train-this apparel (Jacket and sweats..you know it) cheering on my friends as I see them pass. It's funny because I think this is the first race I will actually attend where I am not running (even if its just a 3.5 running race). It's kind of like those recovery bike rides where you get to enjoy the great outdoors and aren't driven by your garmin and what numbers you need to hit. Those rides with friends are just plain fun and its important to keep a good mix of that, at least for me it is. Sundays have kind of become that for me. I try to meet up with old and new friends and incorporate my training in with them. When that sort of thing works out its great, like last Sunday when I rode with my friend Jay. We may not be biking at the same level due to training and such but I was able to incorporate a ride of over 1.5hrs with him without sacrificing a darn thing. If you cannot get out and enjoy people and enjoy being on a bike than you need to change something because a breakdown is just bound to happen. I suffered a minor collapse yesterday when I pulled the plug on a 30 minute swim, I mean in reality I had about 1 hr's worth of biking, a 30 min swim, and a 30 min run on tap for yesterday and today. Doing these workouts would not help me become faster or make me any more ready for the race on Sunday...so I'm trying to play it smart and just chill..just relax and not worry about missing a planned workout. Rest and recovery is just to paramount to the grand scheme. If I can't race in Placid it would be pretty darn disappointing.

I had more written in here but it seems my computer did not save these thoughts. Therefore, I am just going to post what I have right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment