Thursday, July 22, 2010

What a day....What a week....What a year! Yes folks IMLP is finally here!

Phew...what a couple days it has been. I am now laying in my hotel bed with some ice on the leg and just relaxing. The past couple of days have been jam packed with triathlon goodness. Now as I lay here i finally have a few seconds to catch up on my blog. But not to worry everyone, since I am planning to spend about 30 minutes on my feet on Saturday I will have plenty of time to catch up on long overdue blog posts, SMURFINGS, phone calls to friends and family. It is going to be a great day of relaxation and catching up. So there is your warning everyone, be on the look out for a call from Turbo Curbeau :)

So lets get down to what I have been up to these past couple of days. The madness all began on Tuesday after work as I headed to Geneva to meet my mom and pick up my specially made "Lake Placid Pants" from none other than the best pants makers (among other things now) my friends at Bonobos..go to their site at www.bonobos.com. They are awesome dudes who make a great product! For Lake Placid they hooked me up with their Limited Edition "Spangled Banners' which are navy blue and have stars all over them. I mean what better pants to wear at Ironman USA! I can't think of any other clothing line that I would rather be representing. Now we just need to get them to make nice tri kit for me :) haha So while I was in Geneva I stopped at the Geneva Cycle Center and said hi to my friends Jim nd Chad, great guys! And by mentioning bike stores I must add that my good friend Scott Likly and his crew at Towpath bike in Pittsford really are the best people in the world and they have got me all set up on my Speed Concept. I really do appreciate all their assistance and well wishes. In fact Scott just called me and wished me good luck...and to that point I must add that a good friend of mine, CJ, who I went to school in London also gave me a ring. With our busy lives it is hard to connect with him and my old friends but it sure was nice to catch up with him and hear how he's doing. he informed me that he will be running in the marine core marathon this fall in DC. Way to go CJ, and his wonderful girlfriend Nora will be doing it with him as well. I will certainly look forward to seeing them race down their as well as hear about all their training that they will be putting in. I'll keep my eye on them :) So yeah, after I was in Geneva I continued on to Syracuse where I met up with Cusetri a.k.a. Mike Corona and I spent the night at his place so we could get a good early start on our vacation to Lake Placid. After some morning coffee and a wonderful eggs a'la Corona (soooo good!) we both got in the trusty subaru and headed towards the great wilderness paradise that is Lake Placid, NY. We arrived mid afternoon, got situated in the hotel, ate food with Don and Chris, and then immediately headed towards the lake for a nice 30 minute swim that we all had planned. Well let me just tell you that the weather was ummm...so so at best. Their were dark clouds looming and some thunder in the distance. None the less we five brave souls (Don, Chris, Ken, Mike and I) began our swim. Chris was the only smart one who turned around and headed back to shore after about five minutes of swimming. Why was he the smart one? Well because the rest of us decided to keep swimming and we swam right into a "Micro burst" as they call them. Mirror Lake (usually the calmest most serene place in the world) had whitecaps on it...whitecaps I tell you! It was so windy that even swimming at a hard pace it felt like we were getting pushed backwards. In all honesty we didn't really know how bad it was because we were in the middle of the lake but when we got back to shore Chris was just thankful we were alive. He informed us that the wind and rain was absolutely roaring and that everything on the beach was blowing around everything...I can attest to this since I found my goggle case which had my car keys and hotels keys in it to weight it down like 40 feet from where I had initially left them. But i guess as they say alls well that ends well and...what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger....but next time we might hold off on our swim if the weather looks like it did..After that near death experience we all showered up and stuff and then met up at Chris and Don's cabin in the woods that they rented. Awesome place, team Train This is actually all gathering their tonight for some KanJam, Team Bonding, Food Eating fun..it should be a great night. As for today Mike, Ken, Don, Chris and I all got a bike run brick in...very short of course, early this morning and then did the registration thing. This has made for kind of a long day on our feet...at least for me. I ended up going back down to the expo for a short while to talk to the SRAM reps who offered to look over my bike and make sure the gears and shifting were all 100% I met Ben and Paul from SRAM and really had a good talk with them. (Don't worry Mary I won't be spending every waking second at the expo this week...in fact I was pretty disappointed in their selection of apparel..at least in Galveston they had sweatpants and polo's and other goodies with the actual name of the race on them...here all the stuff is pure M dot with no reference to the race location, but I ended up getting some water bottles and a collectors mug that said lake placid so its not all bad, at least I saved some money.....for now) But where was i..YEAH I had a good chat with the SRAM guys and ended up with a new sponsorship with them....well not really, but they did give me some rub on tattoo's, stickers, and wristbands which I informed them that I will gladly rock all over the place. oh yah,I just remembered one of the coolest parts of the day, as I was registering in the lake placid high school I had multiple admirerers of my star bangled bonobos pants. A couple who even insisted on having a photo op with me. Sure they were high school age but they were still diggin Turbo..to bad I can't turn back the clock and be 18 again...oh well...the moral of the story is that the pants rock and people recognize this!

That's it for now, I have much more to share but I am now off to the team party for the remainder of the night. I will be coming to you live brining happiness and joy tomorrow morning from the Starbucks downtown here in LakePlacid. If your in the area stop by at 6am..I'll be there...I love the early morning in Placid, but i am guessing that as I am among my kin here in Triathlon heaven that I will be joined by many others just like me who are plagued with the same sickness. And here is official notice that Mrs. Mary Eggers will be taking on Jesse and Pat from QT2 in a morning (8am) swim challenge. The loser buys beer. I will be the official referee/timer/line judge/everything so you can count on a fair and honest race. Needless to say I am very excited about this.

Well until tomorrow morning this is Turbo and i'm out!

No comments:

Post a Comment