Saturday, February 27, 2010

Awesome Day - 20 min TT, Bike Fit, and the Cuse...

First off I must ask what is it then when I have the opportunity to sleep that I have such a tough time doing it. And then when I want to keep sleeping or sleep more..I just can't because of work. Well anyways I had the chance to get a good nights sleep last night and I was up about 5 times during the next...figures huh. Anyway, I ended up getting some good rest from about 4-8am and then once it hit 8 I just couldn't keep lying around so I got out of bed, made some coffee and drank my pre-workout shake that consists of a banana, 1 scoop of chocolate protein, and some ice. Then watched the end of last weeks Simpsons episode on Hulu. I love Saturday mornings when I don't have to work. Quite the change from the previous 4 weeks Saturdays that began at 4:30 am on the bike. Well once I was up and going I hit the trainer for a bike workout that included a 20 minute TT. The TT went alright. I was not super happy but I made it through without bonking out or anything. I do not want to make excuses but I just felt worn out. I had swam the night before at 7pm and I think I am still lacking on sleep since the past week was just brutal workwise. Anywho, the power readings went up a bit from the previous TT, so if nothing else, that is good. After the TT I tried to take on the task of cleaning my bathroom a little bit. Having not actually "lived" in my apartment for the past 2 months, things are a bit messy...and that's saying it nicely. It truly is a representation of the classic "bro pad" as my good buddy Hohman would say. That needs to change if I ever want people to come over...I think if a girl ever walked in, I could look like Brad Pitt and she would still be running as fast as possible in the other direction. Well the silver lining in this all is that my OCD kicked in and I scrubbed the heck out of the bathroom floor, sink, and toilet. The transformation is not complete yet, but it is a lot better than before. My mother has graciously given me some Mr Clean magic erasers that will take away all the nasty soap scum and other discoloring features of the tub, as well as the discoloring that is currently residing in my sink. Its a process, but one that will get done, and in no time my bro pad will be a thing of beauty...especially when my bikes get located front and center. Some people like to buy nice paintings and hang them on their walls. Well not for this guy, my works of art include 2 wheels, a set of aero bars, and a dura ace drive train. Ohhh the beauty of it all!

After the little cleaning fiasco I packed up the outback (which took me like 45 minutes because I had so much darn nasty stinky clothing + bikes) and headed to Geneva Cycle Center for my RETUL fit. Geneva cycle is legit. I was led there by many people including my good buddy Cuse Tri and my Coach Ironmamma Eggers. (BTW Mike and I now have matching TT helmets, we did not plan this I swear. I just mentioned today that I was thinking about getting a white and silver one...not going to lie I wanted this color because its the color that Chris Lieto wears and if you haven't figured it out I am a bit obsessed with him at the moment. You can now find me wearing both his TT helmet of choice and his cycling shoes of choice, DMT's if you care. Where was I...oh yeah well I wanted the white and silver Giro TT and I wanted to see what people thought and low and behold that's what Mike had picked up! Well I was not changing my color preference and after getting the OK from Mike that we could match..well I was super stocked to say the least when Geneva had it in stock! It is now currently residing on my head, no joke. I might sleep in it tonight) Back to the fitting. It was a thing of beauty. It was like the equivalent of a woman going to a day spa for a full on pedicure manicure and mud bath with a massage to finish. It was sweet. I had two bike experts pouring over my bike and I. I had sensors hooked up all over. I had to shave parts of my body to make them stick, I saw a stick figure represent my every movement down to the millimeter. It was so cool. We confirmed that I am very flexible, that my left leg is shorter than my right, and that my knees do not match which has caused two different muscular developments to occur on each leg. It was pretty cool to see this. So in order to balance things out each leg was looked at individually. The left leg low and behold was fixed with a simple tweek of my cleat. It is now fully locked in and looks great. A shim was also added and that was that..the left leg is good to go. The right leg however was a bit different. By no means was it way out of wack, it was just different, I have a bit of a bend instead of a straight up and down motion. That is not an issue, its barely noticeable even on the RETUL machine. The key was to be able to adjust the seat position into a height where the left leg would not get compromised. Therefore we first lowered the seat and then subsequently raised it back up about half of what it was before. This lead to the closest compromise that we could get which allowed both legs to work to their fullest in combination with each other. I have no idea if what I just said made sense, but I am to tired to try and re-word it right now, so take it for what it is. All in all what basically happened is that contrary to what I "thought" I needed...my bars were raised up for less of a drop and my seat was lowered just a little bit. This has given me a much better comfort level, which is going to be needed for the half and full iron distance races. Instead of feeling like my upper body was falling off the bike, something that was very uncomfortable, I know feel very much at ease and "cradled" if I can use that term. Either way it was a great time, Just about 4 hours of full attention was given to me. Needless to say I will be back for tweaks and back for fitting on the road bike, as well as some touch up work that needs to be done to the bike...

So with that said, it was a great day. I now am back home with the parents in PY. I will be staying up late and watching the Cuse game tonight because I can. I do not have to work tomorrow and I can sleep in as long as I want...SLEEP IN! How crazy is that! And tomorrow's planned training is just a 1 hr jaunt outside. A nice little endurance run. Hopefully the weather will be semi-agreeable. It will be a good end to a tough week. Next weeks brings a about and hour commute each day, but nothing that I can't handle. It's the last week of my audit duty. I go into tax next week where i will be working in the office every day. Normality will ensure. Who knows I might even be able to go to my beloved Yoga class taught by Ironmomma! That's be so great.

Alright time to get ready for the Cuse game...CUSE IN THE HOUSE OH MY GOD, OH MY GOD!!

I know my boy Cuse Tri will be watching it!

1 comment:

  1. fit sounds like it went great!!! Geneva is the best bike shop around!

    ReplyDelete