Sunday, February 14, 2010

Happy Valentines Day

Valentines Day 2010 has led me to Starbucks at 6am. I was able to get to bed around 7:30PM last night which afforded me a good deal of sleep, which was much needed. Why then am I back up at 6am the next day? Well to answer your question, its because I have the first day off from work that I have had in the year 2010. It has certainly been a rough month and a half of work. But since today is all mine, I am taking advantage of every minute I can. A nice swim at the Y this morning is going to get me off to a great start. Then I am going to make the trek back to my apartment, grab the running shoes, and hit the treadmill at Midtown. Luckily I am going to be joined by a fellow teammate at the gym, which will make the 1:45 on the treadmill SOOO much more bearable. Running in the same place all day can be well...less than awesome. Haha but I do it because I love it and because I want to do it. Waking up early, running on treadmills, spinning inside, this is the stuff that gets me through the day. It keeps my fuel tanks from hitting E. I can't really explain how I have been able to keep going all winter. I know that I am not getting the sleep I would like, and their have been times when my workouts have been less than expected because so. But I have really worked hard to minimize these. Working yourself and your body to exhaustion when there's nothing in the tank is just not smart. It always ends up in disaster. I mean if you need to sleep in, then you go and work all day all the while saying you'll "get it in at night", then you get home kind of late and you just go through the paces of your planned workout. What benefit did you get? Sure, you "got it in" but what about the next morning when you do wake up early. Your now not properly rested and then that workout suffers. So basically, the triathletes attitude of hitting goals and markers has now forced you to screw up not one but two workouts. In my books, I have learned that its far better to have one awesome workout that 2 sub par's. It's hard at times to see the big picture because on the whole we triathletes are so focused on the here and now. But in reality its just such a long process. A good process don't get me wrong. But its just demanding both physically and mentally. So now when I know I didn't get enough sleep or just am not feeling it, I am very much more attune to calling it a day and waking up anew the next, ready to take on the world.

2010 Race Update:

I am excited to announce that the New England (New Haven to Boston) Ragnar 24hr race has been added to my list. One of my good buddies CJ whom I went to school with in London, and lives in Boston, contacted me about this and I simply cannot pass up the chance to hang out with him and his buddies for a 24 hr endurance event. It is going to be awesome. Here is the website for the event...pretty rad in my opinion. I am really looking forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment