Thursday, April 22, 2010

Travel Day

Today begins my latest adventure which if everything goes well will bring me across the finish line of a half ironman on Sunday morning. I am currently en route to Galveston texas via Jet Blue. I have a 3hr layover at JFK where I'll be watching "race across the sky", the mtn biking movie about the Leadville mtn bike race in which my man Lance Armstrong won this year. I have had this movie in my possession for over a week now but I have been saving it ti watch for this trip. Believe me...I am certainly an instant gratification type of guy and it's been killing me to hold off and not watch it. So I am going to really enjoy watching that during the layover. It will make the time fly by.

Here's the game plan. I am going to try and keep a running blog about my trip. I will try and post at every chance I have to keep everyone updated as to my status. So here it goes:

5am - I am all checked in at the airport and sitting at the gate waiting for pre-boarding. Jet Blue only got me for 50 bucks for my bike. Not bad considering some of the other charges I have heard about with other airlines. One good thing to note is that the lady that checked me in for Jet Blue did check to see if it was a certain time of year where they ship bikes for free due to "big races". I am guessing their are certain key ones on their schedule. She mentioned that they do this to promote "healthy living" and all that. Well they should do it 365 days of the year shouldn't they if they are really committed to a healthy lifestyle. But oh well 50 bucks each way isn't bad, and I didn't get stopped going through security which is always nice considering I haven't shaved in a few days.

Alright then, I am going to enjoy my iPad with the free wireless, my xl black coffee from dunkin, and my mixed nuts in a ziplock that I created at the wegmans bulk food section...mmm...mmm good.


10am - JFK airport

Hmm I thought I had posted earlier for the second time but I guess it didn't go through. Anyways, I just finished watching "race across the sky". It was an awesome documentary of the Leadville 100 Mtn bike race. Really inspiring. I hope that someday I get the chance to take a crack and finishing that race in 12 hour and earning the coveted Leadville 100 belt buckle. The course that they ride starts out at 10,000 ft plus and climbs to over 12,500 ft. Total elevation is like over 14,000 ft. Absolutely absurd. The leaders finish this thing in around 6.5 to 7 hours. Unreal! Definitely a lifetime goal to put on the bucket list.

Well hopefully the plane will be boarding in about a half an hour and I will soon be on my way to Texas! The forecast is calling for some rain and t-storms over the next few days but as if now Sunday is looking clear with a temperature that may creep towards 80. Let's hope the weatherman is close in his forecast. But either way I am gonna be as happy as can be in the rain, sleet, snow, hurricane, whatever...bring it on! Just don't let the lightning strike me down.

Random thought just popped into my brain. What is it? Well I'm thinking about when inhale to put my bike back together. I hope that I can get the handle bars, derailliuer or however you spell that, I honestly have no clue and i still don't think I say it right. This is a clear sign that I am an extreme newbie to the sportnof cycling. If you could not already tell by my matching kits that are usually strAight from mellow johnnys so that i can look like lance as much as possible. I mean hey, you gotta have someone to look up to! This can also be said for chris lieto, #2 finisher at the ironman world championships in kona and #1 American, I can be seen wearing the same cycling shoes and helmet as him. He's inspiring. He started in the triathlon game late in his 20's and took off immediately. His is s force to be reckon with and with s background in water




8am - I made it to JFK. I must say that I am always impressed with the Jet Blue terminal here. It is really really nice. Clean, lots of good food choices, free wifi...only thing was that two yogurts and a coffee was like 10 bucks. It's good Greek yogurt though so it's definitely worth it :). I told this to my team in an email and I will say it again here. If you want want to have an easy conversation starter while traveling just hook your aero helmet to your backpack. Normally I wouldn't broadcast so blatantly that I am 1. Traveling with a bike and 2. A nut job triathlete in search of warm weather and a good race but I lacked the room to pack it elsewhere. But I may keep traveling like this in the future even when I am without my bike. Wait..that will probably never happen again, my bike is going with me everywhere! But any who I've had some nice conversations with people about cycling and swimming.

On another note, as I was flying to JFK from ROC we flew right over Keuka Lake and my hometown of Penn Yan. It was the first time I've ever seen the lake and my home with that much clarity. It was awesome!

Well time to start watching "race across the sky". A review of this will be forthcoming. Until then I am going to continue to sip on dunkin coffee and eat my yogurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment