Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Zen and The Art of Triathlon...and much more.

I am not quite sure when I discovered Zen and The Art of Triathlon but if I had to guess I would say it would be sometime last Fall. If you are one of the unfortunate individuals who does not know what Zen and the Art of Triathlon is, let me explain. Zen and The Art of Triathlon is well many things...., but mainly for simplicities sake ill just say that it's a super awesome, totally kick butt podcast that I found on iTunes. Of course Brett (yeah first name basis here, I can say that now since I met him in person, but more on that later). Zen and The Art of Triathlon is a great podcast that covers many facets of triathlon and life. Brett is constantly putting out fresh new material with insights on healthy eating and living, zen lifestyles, and most importantly triathlon guidance. This podcast single handedly got me through many a long car ride this winter when I was having to commute all over NY State for different audit engagements.

So over the past few months I have been listening to all the podcasts and really digging all the material he talks about. From green smoothies, to riding on rollers, to mountain biking with his son Kai who he attaches to the back and goes mach 5 (btw, wicked cool name for your kiddo), I bet he's going to be a monster triathlete someday soon.



Well about a month ago, give or take a few days, I was listening to Zen and The Art and I heard that Brett "@ZenTriathlon"' was going to be doing the 1/2 Ironman in Galveston. Well I thought, geez...I'm going to be doing that too! How freaking cool. I literally pulled over to the side of the road and wrote an email to the address on his website www.zentriathlon.com . Well sure enough he got back to me that very day. I was pretty impressed since I didn't think he'd actually respond to me. I mean I was just some weirdo from upstate ny that said he was coming down to Texas to run a race. Anyway, we had a couple emails back and forth and yada yada. Fast forward to last Sunday. Since I am 23 I was in a pretty early swim wave, I finished before most people since I started earlier. This gave me the chance to watch a lot of people come down the chute and finish. There's nothing like seeing people finish an ironman distance event. It's very inspiring.

Well, while i was watching people finish I just so happened to see a tall guy finish that I thought I had seen before. Well sure enough it was ZenTri. I couldn't just let him pass on by without saying hi so I got up the nerve and shouted "hey, ZenTri"...or something along those lines. Haha he must have been like...who the heck? But after that I introduced myself and we had a great chat. I even was able to get snag a pic -->



So yeah, I just wanted to share that experience because triathlon is so totally awesome. I mean I was able to discover a really cool podcast that I've thoroughly, and then somehow manage to meet the creator at a real live race! Triathlon...it just doesn't get any better. Yeeeewhooooo!

Thanks ZenTri! I look forward to listening to each and every podcast you put out and all the best in your Triathlon Training this year and beyond!

-MjC

No comments:

Post a Comment