Thursday, December 17, 2009

Everyman's Sport

I have only been involved in the sport of Triathlon for less than a year. However I have developed some reasons why I enjoy it so much.

1. It's like a brotherhood. The people that are involved in the sport really "get-it". I have been welcomed into a new community with open arms. Everyone I have crossed path's with so far have been amazing. I love that I am creating new friends literally every day. Each person that I am meeting totally get it. I really can't explain how excited I get when I am on my way to ride bikes with a group, or on my way to the pool where I will join everyone at the master's class, or on my way to Mendon Ponds or (insert location here) to meet up with people for a workout, or on my way to a new friends house in Syracuse for a jam session on indoor trainers. I love that feeling and can't get enough of it. If you could see me in my car on the way to these things you would probably fall over laughing. Imagine me jamming out to whatever music I can find, pounding on the steering wheel with a huge smile on my face. The people driving next to me must think im nuts...and are probably worried I will crash into them..haha I can honestly say that I have never been as into a lifestyle as the one I am in now. I hope I can continue to progress in this sport and makes great things happen!

2. Triathlon is for the masses. The people that do triathlon are real people. They are not bodybuilders with bodies that look like they have been taken out of a cartoon book. They are not 400 pound NFL lineman, they are not MLB players with forearms the size of my thighs. Triathletes are machines. Machines that have one objective to see what their engine is capable of. Triathlon is so interesting because anyone can give it a try. You do not need to be a former Collegiate All American to take a crack at Kona. You can just sign up for an Ironman, train your butt off, and give it your all on race day. If you do good enough they will invite you to take part in their World Championships! To me that is cool!

3. Triathletes are regular people. Most triathletes aside from some elite's have regular day jobs. The average triathlete and even the super fast age-groupers are training themselves to compete at a near professional level while at the same time working over 40 hours a week. It's pretty remarkable the dedication that these athletes exude. Getting up to go to the pool before the sun is up, pedaling away in the dead of the winter on a trainer, running through snow banks at 5am...

1 comment: