Sunday, December 27, 2009

Sharing the Journey

On Christmas night I had truly wonderful opportunity. Last week the Ironman World Championship was broadcast on NBC. Since my sister was able to record this program on the DVR here in the Baldwinsville last weekend, we had the full broadcast all ready to be seen on the big screen in the Shipman Family Theater Room. After many hints and encouraging, the message of "Matt's hoping everyone will come down to watch the Ironman show" was acknowledged. To my surprise I really didn't have to push this request though, I mentioned it once to my parents and once to my sister and they were both in full agreement that we were all going to watch it. This was great! I was so excited to be able to watch this broadcast with them...to be able to show them what kind of event I was working hard towards. Obviously the NBC broadcast is not a dead-on true example of the triathlon lifestyle but it does a pretty good job of explaining some of the sacrifices, joys, journeys, etc etc...that go on in a triathletes life. To my HUGE surprise the entire family came down to the theater room to watch the Ironman. The Family Theater was packed to capacity with my mom, dad, brother in law, sister, grandma, grandpa, and nephew all watching! In my opinion I feel that this sort of family bonding is essential. As athletes (and this can be spread across all lifestyles but since this is a triathlon blog and triathlon consumes me I will stick with athletics), so much of sport is based on having a support system. Whether that be on the course with people giving you water or at home with people giving you hugs after a race. I am very happy that my family was able to share in watching something that has become my passion. I truly feel that my family understands what I am undertaking. Yes, some of it scares my mom and dad..like all the scenes where people are keeled over on the side of the road. But that's why I train, and prepare. Working on nutrition/hydration, along with all the cycling, running and swimming. Everything is a build-up for the grand celebration of race day. All in all I was very excited that my family was intrigued and engaged. I am hopeful that many of them will be able to be in the Lake Placid this July when I attempt my first Ironman distance race. I am going to do my absolute best to prepare for the challenge and cannot wait to show them what I can do on race day. There support will be more important than having the right bike or the right shoes, or the right pre-race meal. It's going to be one heck of a year...2010...the new decade has been a long time coming in my opinion. A lot has happened for me in the "zero's"....good and bad. Altogether I think that the path I chose has ultimately lead to a good destination. There is a lot in front of me in the coming decades but I have a really good feeling that the "ten's" are going to be a truly awesome launching pad. Big things don't just happen out of the blue, steps need to be taken to achieve accomplishments. Sacrifices are part of the journey, if great things just happened every day then what would be the point? There would be no sense of accomplishment. I would have to say that in the past year my perspective on things has changed quite a bit. Obviously their is still soo MUCH to learn but one thing I am beginning to see more clearly is that everything in life is a journey. When I embrace the journey (the process) I feel good, I feel satisfied. I think that I always knew this deep down but never acknowledged it. Growing up I really did love to finish large school projects or long school papers. The culmination that came at the end of a 20 page term paper really did make me feel good. I liked being able to proof read and improve rough drafts. However, I was still young and felt that finding the quickest and easiest way was the best option. Well..for me this wasn't the right mind set. When I began to slow things down and as my dad would say "be a task big or small do it well or not at all." Simple old saying that really has impact. When you think about it this saying relates to everything...I do not do a perfect job of incorporating this but just the fact of thinking about it and trying to achieve this sort of lifestyle is progress. When you are going to leave your house in the morning and the bed is unmade, take 2 minutes and make it look nice. When I do this I always feel better about getting into my nicely made bed at night. Those two minutes I spent making the bed always seem worth it. I do not do this all the time but I wish I did...maybe that can be a new years resolution..make my bed..every day. I'll give it a shot and do my best :) Even though that's a simple example it can speak volumes. When on a training run don't cut it short (as long as your physically in a good state)...do your prescribed time/distance. You'll feel better when its done. Don't shortchange yourself..ever. If you set out to do something, finish it! If their is a tough project at work that requires a lot of time...well don't get overwhelmed at the beginning. Take it piece by piece and eventually an end will be in sight. And there we go, a segway to triathlon has been created. As the bike portion of the triathlon is nearing its completion try not to think about 26.2...instead think about 3.1, thinking about taking it 5k at a time. Most all triathletes have or can run a 5k without much thought. Therefore run 3.1 miles, then run another 3.1...by the time you have run 10k you are now well into the marathon. Still don't think of it as a marathon, just many short runs strung together. Before you know it your into the 20mi range...then what the heck think of it as a marathon, don't let the dead zone get to you, start psyching yourself up that you are going to complete a marathon!!! At mi 20 there is only a little of 6 miles left...a 10k! Anyone can do a 10k! So as with life and sport..break it down, step by step, piece by piece. It's always easier when the task is smaller. However, when you add up all the small tasks and reflect on the grandiose final result, relish the achievement! I liked one of the quotes from the Ironman NBC broadcast this year. I believe it was a formed NFL player who said this, "Its just a 2.4 mi swim, a 112 mi bike ride, and a 26.2 mi run...and the chance to brag for a lifetime!"

No comments:

Post a Comment