Saturday, December 26, 2009

A Family Affair (12.26.09)

Good Morning Good Morning. I had intended on posting a blog yesterday but the day was just jam packed with activity. It was a very good day in all respects. Early in the morning I was able to hop on the trainer for a couple hours in the theater room (a very sweaty workout)and then finish that off with a nice 30 minute run outside. Outside it was a bit icy since it had been raining in the morning, so the yak tracks that I recently acquired were broken out. I must say that they worked very well and really did not seem to interrupt my running at all. So all in all I was done with my workouts at around 10:30 yesterday...which was just about the time that the rest of my family was getting up and around. Good timing! It's funny because I definitely remember being younger and being able to sleep in past 10am..but now I struggle to lay in my bad past 7:30. Even like last night, I was up until about 11pm (pretty late for me)and was very tired, however once about 7am came around I just couldn't stay in bed...oh well, there things to be done. So as I sit here drinking my cup of coffee I am happy and content knowing that I will soon be venturing off to a local park called Beaver Lake in the attempt to find some nice running trails. From what I hear there are plenty so running around for an hour should not be an issue at all.

So lets see what else went on yesterday (Boxing Day). Well after the workouts my mom and I made a trip to Wegmans to pick up some needed groceries since the other side of my family (My Dad's side) was coming to Syracuse for the afternoon. This turned out to be a very strategic move on my part since my mom wonderfully let me pick up a bunch of food for myself to have for the upcoming week...and let me tell you 1 trip to the grocery store for Matt Curbeau in which the tab is picked up by someone else is extremely beneficial to the cash flow!! So for that I am very very thankful. A funny thing occurred when we were out shopping though. As we were shopping I received a call from my sister informing me that my 90 year old grandmother was requesting a word search book since the other grandmother (my brother in laws mom) had one. If you know my grandma you would understand that she has to have everything that anyone else has but will really never actually say it. She will just make little condescending remarks or as my mom relayed to me, "Instead of just asking for the classic chocolate milk shake at a restaurant we were at last week that she had remembered from years past, she will instead say "Isn't this the place that has the Big Chocolate Milk Shakes""...haha its funny and its definitely my grandma. So naturally we stopped at another grocery store and picked up a couple word search books so that she would not feel left out.

The rest of the afternoon was spend with the family. A meal was had, presents were exchanged (and I must mention here that my two cousins Kevin and Brian gave me a trek gift card and nike running gear)..about the best stuff in the world. So to them I say THANK YOU!!

Later on in the evening after a lot of Wii instruction to my nephew and brother in law, my sister, mom, dad, and I snuck out to the movies. This was a much needed break from the family. Not for me but really for my sister (dealing with everything and everyone in her house and my mom for dealing with her parents who are getting older and require a lot of attention) as for my dad and I..well I wouldn't say that we needed a break or anything we were fine and nowhere near the stress level that my sister and mom were probably dealing with. I really don't know how my sister does it, two young kids and a grandma in the house who all pose different stresses and dillemas. As I told her when we were walking into the theater..I don't know how you do it..I guess its just something you do when its put on your plate. So that was that, we snuck out and went to see Clooneys new movie "Up in the Air." It was a really really good movie with an ending that will...well I'll just say that the ending is "something." Thus, if your looking for an adult'ish movie to go see I would definitely recommend this movie. After the movie we came home and all made out respective ways to bed.

That was that a good day overall. There was cycling, running, family, good food, good activities, good movies...and the next day (today) I was not at work...It doesn't really get much better than that. As this upcoming week approaches I must say that I can hardly contain my excitement..I have the whole week off from work. This will be the longest stretch since my college days where I have not had to work. I am going to utilize this time to the maximum for training and recovering along with hopefully making it back to my hometown to see a couple of my best friends who I have not seen in a very long time. Other than that I do not really have many plans. Traveling has been kind of ruled out since I need to save at least some of money in order to keep paying for all these triathlons I have been signing up for..haha...I talked about this with my mom yesterday and just said how lucky I am to have my mother and father. Without them I would not be able to do the things I love. Triathlon is a great sport, but when your like me and love to travel and do amazing things, the sport of triathlon can be costly when you start doing some exotic events..well exotic for me. Like going to Texas and Florida to race when your originally from the great Upstate NY. So even though I have a wonderful job which for the most part pays all the bills...my parents support both emotionally and financially is essential. I simply cannot say how much it means to me. If I was not able to do these events or train the way I do..I just don't know. I'd probably been off the deep end. My parents keep me in the lifestyle I have created..like fore exampled, Wegmans Food. If I didn't have my parents I might be living on ramen noodles and water..haha. So in all seriousness I must say that they are amazing and keep me happy, I will probably dedicate a whole post to them simply about this discussion..about how much support from family and friends matters to athletes and in particular to athletes in individual sports.

No comments:

Post a Comment