Saturday, November 21, 2009

COMMUTER POWER!

I had a revelation last night. This revelation actually came to me in a dream I think and it stuck in my mind because I couldn't stop thinking about it. No, it was not of some beautiful woman on the beach....Instead it was about commuting to work by bike. I know for a fact that on Monday and Tuesday of this week that I am definitely going to be in the office for training all day. With no chance that I will have to drive anywhere I am going to do my best to secure a spot to store my bike. If I accomplish this I will be commuting to work! This is soooo cool. I know that the parking garage where I work at has these Rochester city bike lockers. I am not sure if any are open for use but I am going to call the number and see what I can do. I also just realized that this will only be the start. Since I will be doing into the tax department at the end of February to help out with the Tax busy season, it means that I will again have a desk, an actual place at work that I can call my own. I will not have to be going from client to client. This is going to have many benefits for me even though it will extend my "busy season" hours. Most beneficial is the fact that during the time I am in the tax dept I will be able to commute on a daily basis due to the fact that I will be going to the same place everyday and I will more or less know the exact times I will be going into work and leaving work. In addition to helping the environment and getting some more daily exercise, commuting to work is going to happen on a regular basis at exactly the right time. Since I will be competing in a 70.3 Ironman at the end of April the extra biking that I can get in on the morning commute will be great as I boost my training hours. The beauty about being in the tax department is that I won't ever have to leave the office for client work. This meaning that I won't have to get dressed up in a suit or a shirt and tie and really nice dress pants. Therefore, I should be able to commute relatively easily to work, albeit winter snow storms...but even then I think I can get away with some snow pants..and then just store them in the locker that I home to get. So that's what popped into my head last night. I am very excited to make this happen. I do not need to much to get commuter ready since I already have a nice commuter bike that's been sitting in my garage for a good while. I've been dying to get on it but its just hard to fit in recreational riding when there's so much other stuff going on...just not enough daylight anymore. I will probably stop by Towpath bike shop and get a few goodies to make my travels easier...this excites me. I am a gadget guy and tricking my commuter bike out will be fun. I already have fenders and a light and even a bell that came with the bike, so I am figuring some commuter style bags on the back wheel or hell even a big basket would be nice..hahaha!! If anyone has any tips/tricks for commuting please let me know...I welcome all suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment