Sunday, January 10, 2010

A Sunday Stroll

I love the weekends..I mean who doesn't? As always, I was up around 5:30 AM even though I could have slept in until about 9. However, my biological clock had me up and ready to rock. So, I listened to my body, got out of bed, and started doing some things around the house like packing for the week ahead and getting all my clothing ready for the race that ran in today.

Today I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to run with my Coach, Mary www.ironmomma.com. Mary herself has her own coach since she is a member of the QT2 Triathlon Team. Her Coach planned for her to run at around a 7:30 pace for the 4mi race today. Since I am always looking for opportunities to train with other people, (training by yourself just gets sooo boring)I jumped at the chance to join Mary at the race. So we were off... to get a nice 4mile run in while at the same time nail Mary's goal time of 29:30! We just about nailed her overall goal time of 29:30 with a 29:27, pretty darn near dead on perfect in my opinion! The race was definitely a CHILLY one, with the temperature around 5 degrees at start time. None the less after a nice 10 minute warm up and some glove changing, we were both ready to go. We started out pretty fast and had to back it off to maintain a 7:15 mile 1. Then from there on out we pretty much maintained a pace that was around 7:20-7:30. The course allowed for a nice 2 mile loop that had a slight hill that peaked at around 1 mile and then was downhill for most of the second mile. Bar none, the best part of the race was when I looked over at Mary, who had put her sunglasses up on her hat, and she had developed what I would call "icicles" on her eyelashes, and a nice snow dusting on her eyebrows. It was hilarious, she looked like she had been trekking to the top of Mt. Everest or something.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention...arch nemesis Matt Kellman showed up to the race and promptly went on to destroy the competition as he coasted to a victory at Polarcats #3. Congrats old man, relish the victory...and know that I'm coming for you!! Haha..just kidding! It was good to see Matt today, and extremely funny to see him hiding behind a snowbank in the parking lot taking a leak about 2 minutes before the start.

Matt, Mary, and I Post Race

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your help today Matt! My eyes are still frozen!

    ReplyDelete