Tuesday, October 13, 2009

10.14.09 - When Sickness Strikes

This was from what I wrote yesterday morning...before this dreaded seasonal flu/cold decided to kick my butt...

I ended up leaving work at 2pm and spending the rest of the day/night/this morning in bed...Im back here at work..its about 9am now..Hopefully my 18 hours of sleep will do me good...and I am going to be a good boy and follow my instructions and not do anything else today either. I am going to get my work done here in the office and then follow that by planting myself in my bed again. I guess on the bright side of all this is that I didn't lose my appetite...I've been eating like crazy..lots of great wegmans soup..(much thanks to my dad who brought me soup, ginger ale, and cranberry juice last night)...and this morning I scrounged my way through my kitchen to make eggs and a big bowl of oatmeal, and coffee of course....

I guess sometimes when the body wants rest...it really wants it and its going to do whatever it takes to get you in your bed.

So without further ado...here is what I planned on doing yesterday before I was seriously side-tracked:


Alright then, I'm back for round two since this mornings post had to be brief....

This mornings Indoor Spin went pretty well considering how crappy my night was. I think I waged a war against my sickness last night...it was a battle but I believe I slugged out a victory (unlike the Red Sox).

On tap for the rest of the day: I have a weight workout scheduled today and I should be able to get that done after work as long as they don't keep me here any longer than I should be. Then after the weights I have another session of Yoga for Athletes at 7:30. Yoga for athletes' is a really cool concept that my coach Mary has created. Mary teamed up with another woman and created this class which incorporates a quick and efficient yoga practice for the "on-the-go" athletes along with a class that teaches us about proper nutrition and how to best fuel ourselves for the activities that we do. So its kind of a busy day but I think it will go well, just as long as I don't crash b/c of this cold thingy...(I am looking forward to another juice bar drink at the Yoga Place :)

As for last night...even though I wasn't feeling great I still went to my first "real" yoga class at Breath in Pittsford. It was a power vinyase style class in a heated room..maybe the additional sweating helped me get the bad toxins out?..and probably passed my disease onto the others...lets hope not! Plus I drank and ate every fruit and veggie I could get my hands on... Getting back on track, The Yoga class was really cool. I think that this is going to keep me very flexible and limber which should translate into minimal injuries throughout training and racing (at least that's the hope)

Switching gears back to Triathlon and the 2010 season..I started to do some research in regards to the times that I would need to achieve in order to say place at IMLP. The only 18-24 Age Group Male to earn a Kona Spot last year had a time of 9:41...which is lightning fast! That's definitely a goal..but who knows how long it may take to obtain that goal....The good news though is that the internet is a very powerful tool and because of this I found out who this guy was..and how old he is, among other things... like now I know his twitter account and stuff like that...and oh yeah he's a member of the same triathlon team as my Coach (QT2), which is pretty nuts! So whats the good news you ask? He's 24 (right now, which means he will not be in my age group next year. This is very nice to know...not saying I really have a shot at the kind of time he put up @ the current moment...but who knows...This thought process reminds me of something I recently heard and really liked..and I know I will not do this person justice because I will not be able to quote it exactly as it was said, but it was something like this "we were told a long time ago, probably when you were in grade school that dreaming was bad...you may have been caught daydreaming in class and consequently rudely disrupted by the teacher who told you to pay attention and stop thinking about your dreams, your aspirations and instead focus on the arithmetic that was on the chalk board"...So many times in everyday life you are told to bear down and grit your teeth through something you don't want to do. This may be in your job, where you have to deal with the pressures of bosses, seniors, deadlines...your constantly dealing with stuff...stuff that overall is just really clutter. Your stresses rattle around inside your head and drive you crazy. Instead of living for the moment and doing things as they come up you are to worried about not getting something done that you miss the opportunities that are in front of you RIGHT NOW! Is it to cliche to say "live in the NOW"..ya it probably is but I will leave it in here anyways. So you know what? I am going to dream..I'm going to think about the things that I WANT...that I wish I could achieve...and at the same time I am going to live in the now by taking it one day at a time...this way I won't be pushed off-course because I got scared of how hard it might be. Sure a 112 mile bike ride might seem long..but the 5 mile downhill descent is fun?..and then its just a flat straight road for a while...next thing you know you've done 30 miles...and you know what...soon after that you'll have done 60 miles...next thing you know your over half way done...MIGHT AS WELL FINISH THE JOB!

2 comments:

  1. dude you might as well just go 9:30. i'm sure there are others looking at last year's age group winners' times and plotting to get to that in the coming year. f that, just go out and beat it.

    much easier said than done.....

    ReplyDelete