Saturday, October 17, 2009

10.17.09 - a nice lil' Saturday in the Adirondacks



Wakey Wakey Everyone! As I sit here in the downtown Starbucks (see above) at 6:45 AM with my mom..I am a happy camper. I was all set to not be a tourist this morning and visit the "Cof E Bean" which is supposedly where the locals all hang out and drink their coffee. Its supposed to have a really nice view of the lake and everything...BUT there not open at 6:30..what the heck! So good ole' Starbucks with their lights shining brightly welcomed me in this morning. And they have at&t wireless connection is another plus that you just can't pass up.

The trip yesterday went pretty well. I didn't aggravate my dad to much, haha. The old boy held up pretty good, he drove most of the way but got tired like 30 min before Placid so I saddled up and drove the rest of the way. Within 10 seconds of us getting back on the road he had critiqued just about every aspect of my driving. In my younger years I would have given this right back to him which would have led to an interesting conversation full of shouting and the like...however know I just relax and tell the ole man to chill and that if he wanted to get back behind the wheel he was more than welcome.... needless to say I remained driving and guided us in downtown Placid with only one minor detour to show them part of the bike loop.

The rest of the day was nice and relaxing. We went to the Fallen Arch Running Shop and picked up my newtons that I had on hold PLUS I picked up a pair for my buddy Josh who has taken the leap into the Newton brotherhood! Very happy he's sticking with it through the pain (in the calves mostly, haha...it will get better I promise) by the end of this your calves will be shaped like that of Greek gods and you will be running sub 3 marathons!....oh yeah wouldn't that be nice

take a look at these good looking kicks(and remember one other pair is with Josh at the moment)

The lady at the running store was really cool, she was an older woman but a lifelong runner. We had a nice chat about mid-foot running and how she had been taught to run like that from the very beginning. I must admit I was a bit jealous..I bet she could probably crush me in a marathon distance race...but im young and still have many miles to put on my newtons..I'll get there..I'M DETERMINED TO!

OH YEAH, the lady at the running store was talking about the Ironman with me and she said that during race week last year they sold 223 pairs of Newtons! That's pretty nuts, All I have to say is that they better order about 226 next year. (But seriously people, I will probably getting my new pairs over the Internet before then) As I think about the season ahead I think I will most likely get a new pair of racers before the season kicks off in Austin and then only wear those strictly for races...so that would have them nice and ready to go come the end of July when I tackle this beast known as Ironman USA.

I also must mention since I am here in Lake Placid that its just such an awesome place! I am staying at a really fantastic hotel right on the lake. Our room has a real wood burning fire place and a balcony that looks right out onto the Lake. I will be staying here during race week next year so anyone who wants a good view of the swim leg...let me know and you can chill with me in my hotel and then stay there and watch from the beach or wherever when I decide its time for me to get wet..but really let me know! If you can come visit and watch the race...DO IT, it'd be a blast I have a hotel room from Wed to Monday!(ahh just got a refill of coffee...now I'm good to go)

But really..lake placid is one chill place. The downtown is so quaint and unique...almost like a miniature Vail, CO. I say that never having been to Vail but I can say with certainty that it must be similar...and plus my mom says so and she HAS been there...so take it for what it is. To wind up the evening yesterday we went and had a GREAT dinner at the Adirondack Steak and Seafood restaurant. The food was amazing and it had a really nice atmosphere..like a real nice and cozy upscale lodge or something(don't let the word lodge confuse you, it was not cheap or anything...I use that only because I do not have any other words to describe it) with that said, if your in town go this place for dinner with your loved ones or significant other, you won't be sorry...PS the crab cakes are superb and if you get the homemade root-beer (they also have their own brewery, but since I have gotten of the hooch that is N/A)...where was I, oh yeah the root beer is served in one of their collector glasses that you get to keep and it has nice LP pictures and funny quotes like "I feel sorry for the people who don't drink because when they wake up that's the best their going to feel that day"..ok Mr. Sinatra I see your point but you are from a distant past and I can tell you that when I wake up its not the best I am going to feel..the best I am going to feel is probably going to be either 45 min after I wake up when I have on comfy sweats and hoodie with slippers and a coffee in my hand..with the computer fired up and my blog on the screen....OR at about mile 20 of my bike ride when I am really firing on all cylinders...I can guarantee you all that this is when I am feeling the best! Moral of that paragraph..go to the Adirondack Steak and Seafood Restaurant. Tell them Turbo Curbeau sent you..they will have no idea who that is but they may think your a bit loopy for mentioning a crazy name like that and give you a free bowl of soup or a glass of their homemade brew in the hopes you'll stop talking crazy just shut up and eat their delicious homemade food.

Well I can honestly tell you that I am stoked for the day ahead! Coffee's in the tank and I am about to have a nice pancake breakfast. The plan is to ride for about 3 hours and then hop of the bike for a 30 minute run. I told my parents to drive the course while I am out there so that they can get a good perspective of the bike loop...plus I am hoping that they can drop off a nice bottle of water to refuel me about halfway along...that'd be nice:) With that said I am going write down the course directions for them...

HAVE AN ABSOLUTELY AWESOME DAY EVERYONE, I HOPE THAT IF YOUR TRAINING, YOU DOMINATE WHATEVER DISCIPLINE YOUR TACKLING...and if your not training well you better be resting or doing something that I feel is reasonable justification for not training...naw I'm just kidding...kinda....either way, whatever your doing today...DO IT WITH THE BEST ATTITUDE AND EFFORT YOU CAN SUM UP..because as my dad always tells me "Matt, my dad always told me that IF YOUR GOING TO DO A JOB, BIG or small, DO IT WELL...or not at ALL!" Sooooo true!..even though I get down sometimes when work is stressful and life is hectic and I think I have to much on my plate...I need to work on taking it piece by piece and doing each bit with the utmost effort I can produce...and with that I will conquer all!..remember Triathlon is made up of three disciplines...piece by piece the puzzle will come together...(how cliche) Alright I'm done babbling...thanks for stopping by.

-Turbo

TIP OF THE DAY:
Take a piece of paper out and right down the three most important things that you want to accomplish. (Whether that be, get out of the bed that you are currently laying in while reading this, or to run 8 miles)..Write it down and cross each thing off as you get them done...At the end of the day reflect...

(I love lists, I'll make them about everything...I use a moleskin and that things goes just about everywhere with me..even on my bike a lot of the times...you just never know when inspiration is going to strike.)

3 comments:

  1. I like the pic of the Newtons....Especially how the shot included your wallet and one dollar....it that a sign that this shoes leave you with a light wallet?!

    j/k of course....sweet shoes and i should try them out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^^Yeah, I didn't notice the dollar bill until after I put the photo up. That's what I get for being a crazed triathlete. Which reminds me that I need to stop by that running shop again and get some more food for tomorrow's ride.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well, we sure picked an expensive sport to take up. looking back, i wish i had become addicted to something that didn't leave my wallet with just $1 in it.

    my mission of the day, be it that its 9 pm, get un-hungover. the other thing that sucks about this sport, is that it leaves no time for all night benders. when it finally comes time to pull one, i quickly realize i have the tolerance of a newborn, and hangovers really blow. thankfully, i had a cabinet full of nuun, gels, and aleve; each of which is a fantastic hangover cure on their own. i must have really laid one on last night, as my head is still thumping.

    ReplyDelete