Monday, October 12, 2009

Monday = Recovery


Good Morning Once Again.

I am a bit tardy in my posting time today due to the fact that today is my "Rest" Day. Since the weekends are such a a beautiful gift that is bestowed upon me each week, I utilize them to my full advantage. Unlike most tweens, teens and 20 somethings that are sleeping in until the afternoon...I am up when they are getting in from their late nights. I love being able to complete multiple training sessions at my leisure, go to barnes and noble and read all the magazines without having to spend money and buy them :), which is one of my favorite past times, especially since the TRI magazines are all like 10 bucks, have a meal with a friend and catch up on the week...its just nice. Usually with work and getting training in their is about a 1 hr window of free time which I use up by posting this blog and waking up/guzzling coffee, in the morning and another hour at night which is filled up by scavenging for whatever food I can find for dinner. So today the alarm went off at 6:09..yeah you caught me I snoozed it once, its just to enciting not to when it is a "rest day." However, I do not encourage the snooze approach when talking about alarms..I have been meaning to post about sleep and changing sleep habits but that will be saved for another time, probably later this week.

Soo...I do not necessarily have a specific topic to talk about today but I will say that this is the beginning of an Awesome week! I have taken Friday off from work and will be heading up to Lake Placid for the Weekend! The parents (or as I like to call them my Financial Backers/Support Team/Investors/groupies/2 person Fan Club) wanted to go on an old fashioned high school Columbus Day weekend getaway to the Northeast, ala one week belated so we could avoid the high school mess of tourists FYI I was kind of an only child..more about that at another time..so due to that fact I was royaly spoled. I was able to travel a lot and do a lot of cool things, and some of the best trips we ever took was to places like Placid, Freeports Maine, etc etc.

So...naturally I had suggested Placid a while back for various reasons...the beauty of the area, etc etc...and oh yeah the fact that I am going to be BUSTING MY ASS THEIR THIS COMING JULY!!!!! So when they told me the reservations were set I was fully on-board. I have received my training workouts for the trip now and I am pumped to get ready for them! On tap is one loop around the bike course which should be around 3 hrs for me (barring a blizzard, YES there has been a call for Snow in the forecast..I checked weather.com yesterday) at a nice steady pace...nothing to fast (I did however put my aero wheels, aeolus 6.5's on the tri bike to see what they are like, this will be the first time I've used them, and the last time i'll use them this year). The one loop is going to be followed by a short run off the bike...I absolutely can't wait for Saturday!!!! Then on Sunday I have a top secret Bike training planned...its a covert bike ride that is being made so I can analyze specific parts of the course...I cannot say anything more...I have promised my coach that I will keep the code of secrecy...Team Train this has secrets...secrets that are the likes of the ones the Mason's have...If I were to reveal these secrets they would all at once rock your world and enlighten you to an extend where you would not know how to handle it...it would probably be to much....so in order to maintain my code of secrecy and save your minds from becoming boggled and your legs from exploding...I will keep my lips sealed, trust me..its for your own good.

One other thing about Placid, and this reaffirms my nuttyness. I love my Newton shoes...the ones on the right side of this page that Craig Alexander rocks..and theirs a store in Placid that sells them..which is rare because only a handful of stores actually sell these, mostly you have to order them and wait..blah blah blah. But back in August the good people of "The Fallen Arch" let me test drive a pair of Newtons and I have not looked back since. A full review of why I love these shoes is on the list for posting topics. Anyways bc I am nuts I have already placed a call to the store to put on hold a new pair or trainers. They have been nice enouch to oblige and I can't wait to pick them up...ahh to plan your vacations around the places where you want to buy things...im weird...but I did get one of my friends to convert..or at least try to convert to Newtons..he has asked me to pick him up a pair while I am there..yeee...maybe Newton will hire me as a sales rep! I'd be there in a NY minute!!...if only I had more than 5 followers...but at least the 5 followers that I have our loyal and dedicated (YOU BETTER BE!) just kidding.....kinda

BACK ON TRACK-->
Placid's gonna be sweeeet! And tonight I have YOGA! I think this is going to become a regular part of my training...a nice way to get my stretching in and keep nice a limber.....AND BECOME AS BIG AS ARNOLD (just kidding, Mary doesn't promote the use of steroids in the offseason...)! Plus Mary has stated that she is going to punish me during this...I can only imagine the poses and the lengths I will have to hold them (see the above image for Mary's torture tactics)...I'm thinking that I will be used as a model for the class (appropriate since this will be my second time really doing yoga) and that she will repeatedly rip me apart for the enjoyment of the class who will be composed of 33rd degree YOGI who hail from India and who just happen to be spending the Columbus Day Holiday in Pittsford, NY and who MANAGED to stumble upon Mary's class at Breath by "accident."


Sign of the Apocolypse: I think I can know name off and describe in detail more about the top Male Triathlete's than my favorite Boston Red Sox Players...RIP 2009 Red Sox...you guys got worked by the Angels this past week, not that I was able to catch much of the games...hmmm I wonder what this means? I mean baseball is and always will be my first love, I was decent at it, had a great time playing it until college, etc. etc...but if I could do it over again would I instead have done cross country? or swam? As I reflect on this I sure wish I had..but then again I might have burned myself out and never regained the passion that I have for these sports NOW...plus the three disiplines of Triathlon were not really encouraged in any way, shape or form where I grew up. I pretty much would have been made fun (might as well of changed my name to Weaver and become a Menonite) of till I cried If I chose to ride my bike every day instead of playing football....which I DON'T regret at all FOOTBALL was AWESOME, I loved every minute of High School Football...from practices to games it was the best! So whatever, I'm where I am at now because of the many decisions I made...I think I have ended up in a good place..the only thing left is to see where the road leads next. I am hoping for some really cool new adventures in the future! I'm ready so destiny, if your listening...BRING 'EM ON!

Tip of The Day: Utilize all the free podcasts that are on iTunes! Simply stated you can get them at a great price (free) and their such a nice way to spend time in the car, or at your desk. My favorites are Bill Simmons (The Sports Guy - BS Report), Mark Marons "WTF", Tri Talk with David Warden...which I am listening to at the present moment. Tri Talk in specific has some great tips..the dude can be a bit of a dork sometimes but his analysis and studies are interesting and if your into Triathlon you'll appreciate it.

2 comments:

  1. Matt Darey's podcasts are sweet for long rides on the trainer. If you're down with the trance, that is.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike - I'll be checking that out pronto.

    ReplyDelete