Saturday, October 31, 2009

Trick or Treat

Well I am back in my comfort zone..for a couple days at least. Its Saturday Morning, October 31st (Happy Halloween)at 5:45 and I am sitting in my favorite Starbucks in Rochester on the 12 corners. Its a very peaceful time right now, only one other customer here and only two employees working. The roads are pretty abandon...a time when you could just rip up and down the main drags on your bike without worrying about being hit.

As for today, the weather seems to be very mild, in the mid 50's. Yet their is a lot of wind blowing around so time will tell if that becomes a problem for riding bikes. My big plan today is to ride my road bike for some interval training work this morning and then head of to dryer road for the first time to play on some Mtn bike trail. My friend Josh has been generous enough to lend me his ridiculously expensive mtn bike for a while...can't say enough how great my friends are! I am looking forward to playing around on the trails, I have heard great things about them! Then while I am in the Victor area I am going to swing by the local Triathlon Shop which has just recently extended a discount to all Train-This team members. Since I am indeed a Train-This team member, I am looking forward to browsing...and buying at the shop :)

Ut oh, I just looked at the weather report (big mistake) and its calling for rain all day. Let's hope the nice weather people have made a horribly wrong calculation. Shit...it just started raining...hmm decision time to be wet or to not be wet...we all remember what happened last time I decided to go riding in the rain, haha..Lance would go out and ride in the rain...so I think I have my answer.

Ok time for some real posting. I am sitting here reading the new issue of Bicycle the magazine and it has a section on the essential things that every cyclist/triathlete should have in their car. It's a short list but a pretty good one IMO.

1. A "Repair Kit" - No specific brands or anything, just one that you have put together yourself. I'd suggest:
-A New Tube
-An old Tire if you have one
-Co2 Cartridge with the gun
-A minitool...these things are essential!
-Some old rags

2. A trunk Organizer - the magazine spells out a specific Thule Medium Trunk Organizer but I'd say anything from a shoebox to a large cardboard box would work. You can easily throw your sweaty, dirty, nasty clothes/shoes/helmet/ whatever you want in their and keep the rest of your car and goods nice and clean.

3. Bontrager Charger Floor Pump- Usually I would just suggest any floor pump. Because in reality a floor pump is a MUST! But in this case I was lucky enough to swindle my dad into getting me this Bontrager Charger one. He wanted a floor pump and I told him that he could have mine right away, and the next time he was at the shop he could just pick me up another one..well my dad has good taste or was lead along by the right salesman (thanks Scott) b/c this floor pump rocks. I have used various pumps over the past few months I have been riding (ok maybe not a good example since I am so new but you get the point)...of all the pumps I have used this one is slick! Super easy to use..it can go on presto or shrader valves without any adjustments and it seals super tight...and it just feels really spot on..I highly recommend getting this floor pump. I think its only like $30 bucks to. So if your in the Rochester Area head to Towpath, tell them Matt Curbeau sent you, and Scott will hook it up for ya!. If your elsewhere, head to your LOCAL bike shop and support them by picking this pump up.

4. Huggies Natural Care Baby Wipes $4/pack of 72 - Baby wipes, take care of mud, sweat, dirt, road grime, oil, sunscreen, etc...keeps your mildly presentable. These are something I need to get..in fact I shall be heading to the great Wegmans later today to buy them.

5. Spare Clothes - based on my short experience I can say that spare clothes are a must. You never know when you are going to forget something, and you don't want to have to hold up your buds who are ready to roll. So throw a spare jersey, helmet, shoes if you have a couple pairs, rain jacket...and some clothes for the post ride..you can't go wrong with some sweats, a hoodie, and some croc prepair slides for those sore feet you have.

Alright I am off to tackle this Saturday....catch ya later!

1 comment:

  1. you forgot two very important things. food and water! i bet if i cleaned out the back of my car, there would be at least a dozen empty smart water bottles, bike bottles i haven't seen in a while, and a nice library of clif bars and gels.

    ReplyDelete