Friday, October 30, 2009

Friday's here..

2 things happened last night as I was coming home from Swim practice. 1. I stopped at Wegmans to get food. I had a package of green beans in the fridge but that was about it...so needless to say I wanted something more. The problem was that I had left my wallet at home and I as already in the parking lot of Wegmans. I did not want to have to go back to the apartment and then to wegmans, that would be annoying. Soo..i looked in my pockets, and everywhere else to see if I had some money..out of luck, I had only 3 dollars to my name. So I proceeded to spend the least amount of money ever during a trip to wegmans. Three dollars exactly for 2 containers of cottage cheese...and yes I did you the shoppers club card to get the additional discount and made it the round 3 dollars...just perfect! However, I will have to pay another visit to wegmans this morning when hunger strikes after I get my run in...I mean I have granola bars but you can only eat so many of those before you want some protein in you...
2. The second thing I noticed while coming home from Wegmans was the enormous line of cars at McDonalds. No joke, this was at 8:47PM, I remember the time exactly. I just am really curious what draws so many people to Mickey D's this late in the evening. Their were seriously over 15 cars lined up in the drive-thru line, I don't think their are that many ever during lunch hour or breakfast time. Just seemed odd to me. If anyone can give me a reason why they think that it was so packed..im all ears.
Well those were a couple things I felt I should note this morning.

Moving along, my friend Alex emailed me an interesting article from the NY Times last night. You can read the article here -->http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/27/health/27well.html. It talks about the issue of long distance running and if its bad for the human body. It makes some interesting points that reference human history and how as humans we have essentially been build with all these features that are conducive to running. It even states that on a hot day a human could outrun a horse in a 26.2 marathon, this because we essentially have "air-conditioning." All other animals pant...just like your dog does on a hot August afternoon. So instead of being like a 1980 pinto with no a/c that craps out in the middle of the highway because its overheating..we humans are like a 2009 lexus with air conditioning and cooled seats. I never really thought about this before, but thats pretty cool. Sweating is a good thing! Now when I sweat buckets on the trainer, at yoga, during a run..I can just think about how my body is running like a finely tuned engine..so beware everyone if your not sweating properly you need to go to the doctor and get a tune up! For humans sweating is our advantage...keep hydrated and the engine will run smooth...do not hydrate and you will end up like the 1980 pinto in the middle of the desert...Anyway, take a look at this article, its neat. And read the book it refers to "Born to Run" I am in the middle of it right now and its a good read, can't go wrong. I also got a tip from follower Chisom that Bill Simmons', "The Sports Guy", new book is out and its worth a look. I read his first book about the 2004 Red Sox and it was hilarious, my former roommate John Huetter an attest to this, I believe this was the first hard cover book with less than 10 photos that he had ever read (JK..well kinda)


On tap for the weekend is hopefully some mountain biking tomorrow along with some intervals on the tri bike and a short job. And then on Sunday I will be racing in my 2nd Cylclocross race ever @ Ellison Park here at Rochester. My race starts at Noon, if you have nothing to do come out and race! or at least stop by and watch..its an absolute blast...CAN'T WAIT!

Tip of The Day: If you are a USAT Member and are looking for a great Triathlon to do...the NY City Trithlon is on July 18, 2010 and is now open for registering...only if your a USAT Member. I just got the email last night. Its a little benefit of being a member I guess. So, if you are looking for a cool triathlon in the northeast during this time frame check this site out --> http://www.active.com/framed/event_detail.cfm?CHECKSSO=0&EVENT_ID=1801368 and if your an active USAT member you can register early before its sold out..

No comments:

Post a Comment